In this section, you’ll find tools to help you develop the skills and performance of your staff – including tools for giving feedback and evaluating performance.
Here’s one easy-to-use performance evaluation system we love.
We know it can help to see samples of this sort of thing, so here’s a sample evaluation of a struggling employee.
… And here’s a sample of an evaluation for a high performer.
Here's an executive director performance evaluation form template, which your organization's board might use to assess how your ED is performing.
Nervous about giving feedback? This worksheet will help you think about what you want to say, and how to say it.
The 2x2 system ensures that managers and staff members talk about what each is doing well and what could be better.
Here's a field guide chock-full of tips and tools for managers to get started with 360 reviews.
Check out an example of how to use the PARTNER framework for receiving DICEY feedback that's related to diversity, inclusion, culture, equity, or you.
This resource covers the benefits of having a career pathways tool, a step-by-step guide for building one, and two examples to help get you started.
Check out two full examples of a career pathways tool, and a sample template you can apply to any role.
This is a sample email that the head of HR, Chief of Staff, or ED/CEO can send to all staff to announce (or even re-introduce) a performance evaluation process.
Here is a list of some of the most common choice points, or key decision-making opportunities, managers face that may have equity and inclusion impacts.
- Four Ways to Mitigate Bias in Performance Evaluations
- Eight-Step Guide to Performance Evaluations for Managers
- How to Build Career Pathways at Your Organization
- How to Receive DICEY Feedback
- How to Spot DICEY Feedback
- 5 Tips for Giving Better Feedback
- In Praise of… Praise!
- Give More (and Better) Feedback with CSAW
- How to Gather and Use Input from Others in Performance Evaluations
- Feedback: Avoid These Pitfalls!
- How to Push Without Pushing People’s Buttons
- How to Say It: 10 Ways to Put Your Finger on What’s Wrong
- Frequently Asked Questions—and Answers—About Performance Evaluations
- How to Give Feedback to a Defensive Staff Member
- How to Develop and Retain High Performers
- How to Give Feedback About Inconsistency