Giving Feedback with CSAW
Below is a worksheet for using CSAW, our framework for giving feedback. For a more in-depth overview of CSAW, read this article.
I want to give ________________ feedback on ________________.
✦ Connect over a shared value or goal
- Talk about a shared value or experience (“I can see how hard you’ve been working on planning a successful kickoff event”):
👀 Share a specific observation or concrete example
- Explain the impact/why it matters:
- Share a concrete request if you have one:
💬 Ask questions to better understand their perspective
- Some questions I will ask or ways I will probe are:
|Sample Probing Questions
Remember: ask questions to better understand, not to seek the answer you think you already know!
⇶ Wrap up with next steps
- Make sure everyone is aligned on expectations (“Can you recap what we’re doing moving forward?”)
- How will you follow up on this area in the future? (Put on your list to check back in X time or schedule a meeting to follow up after next event: “Here’s how I plan on following up with you…”)