Below is an email that you can send to colleagues who’ve worked closely with your staff member(s) as you prepare for midyear or end-of-year performance evaluations. Aim to give people at least a week or two to respond.
Subject: Input for [Name]’s EOY evaluation
I am writing to get your input for [Name’s midyear/end-of-year eval]. You are each bcc’d so you can respond confidentially. Ideally, I’d like your feedback by [Date].
To be explicit: sharing feedback is optional and your response doesn’t need to be super structured or formal. Here are some reflection prompts:
- Overall, how have you experienced working with [Name]?
- Have you noticed any particular strengths? Can you give a specific example where their strengths have an impact on you, your team, and/or your work?
- Have you noticed any areas for improvement? Can you give a specific example where their areas for improvement have an impact on you, your team, and/or your work?
- One of the things we value a lot is [include Core Value/Competency]. In your interactions with [Name], have they demonstrated this? If so, how? If not, what could they do differently?
Or, if sentence starters are more your style:
- They are great at…
- They could be better about…
- I wish they would…
- One thing I appreciate about them is…
- When I work with them, I feel…
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you in advance,