Sample CTO Goals & Metrics
Note: This sample assumes that the CTO is responsible for all six areas listed in our Finding a Chief Talent Officer article. You should tailor them based on your how you have scoped the CTO role.
- We have a 3-year talent strategy in place by X date, with buy-in from the executive team.
- Succession plans with 12-24-month time horizons for all VP’s/Directors exist and are refreshed at least annually.
Recruitment and Hiring
- All highest priority roles filled within X days of decision to hire/posting.
- X people in the pool/pipeline for assessment for positions likely to be hiring for soon.
- Initiatives are in place to source a diverse candidate pool for each open position.
- All new hires are meeting or exceeding expectations in their roles by the end of their third month on staff.
- At end of first year of employment, all staff are meeting or exceeding expectations for their roles or there are plans in place to address under-performance swiftly.
- 100% of staff know whether their work is on track and are getting the regular feedback they need to keep improving, including regular performance evaluations, with no gaps by race/ethnicity or team.
- 100% of identified staff with high potential have individualized development plans that spell out where they’re going and how they’ll get there, including strategic stretch goals (potentially across department), with no gaps by race/ethnicity or team.
- X% of staff identified as high performers and/or future leaders remain on staff with no gaps by race/ethnicity or team.
- 90% of performance evaluations are conducted and documented by Jan 31.
- All compensation decisions are finalized by X date.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion*
- X% of all staff identify as people of color.
- Y% of managers identify as people of color.
- All new hires come from a pool in which at least one finalist candidate identifies as a person of color.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion competencies defined for the entire organization by X date.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion goals are crafted and included as part of personal goals for all staff by X date.
- Source and implement an applicant tracking system by X date.
*Note that we encourage organizations to set specific diversity goals for hiring and/or candidate pool-building in line with their organizational goals such as “at least X% of our new hires identify as a person of color or indigenous.” However, while crafting these goals, do seek legal guidance as there might be state/jurisdiction-specific issues to consider.