Upcoming: For Staff: People of Color & Indigenous Cohorts
Working with staff of nonprofit organizations over the last several years we have been reminded that staff who are people of color and/or indigenous face unique and challenging issues within their organizations related to power, privilege, and identity all while driving essential work forward. This year we are launching a two-day course to create a space to discuss and offer support around the challenges of being a staff member of color and/or indigenous in progressive and social justice organizations, and to share practices that can help indigenous staff and/or staff of color thrive.
Working to Change the World, 101 Edition: 2-Day People of Color & Indigenous Cohort
In this 2-day course we’ll cover all of the tools and best practices that we include in our regular Crash Course for non supervisory staff, and integrate discussion and new practices around navigating race, identity, and power dynamics within our organizations. You’ll learn how to:
- Share your perspective and expertise across lines of power and identity
- Get aligned with your manager on what success looks like by asking the right questions (or proposing the answers!)
- Use check-ins to get what you need to move work forward and keep your manager in the loop
- Write individual goals that keep your focus on outcomes and broad responsibilities
- Ask for feedback and practice receiving it in a way that makes your work more powerful and sustainable
- Manage your time and stay organized even when your plate is overflowing
- Provide feedback to your manager and peers
- Strategically manage up to your boss and colleagues to advocate for you and your work
- Recognize the impact of internalized oppression and practice effective ways to show up as your authentic self
We’re invested in building a group that can learn from and grow with each other during these trainings, and to build this unique group we require a brief application.
You should apply if two or more of the following are true:
- You’re driven to practice new ways of improving your work experience and work deliverables.
- You’re interested in connecting over issues faced by staff who identify as people of color and/or indigenous in progressive and social justice organizations.
- You want to become even better at managing up and sideways within a diverse team to achieve outstanding results.
- You’re thinking about the impact of racial equity and inclusion on yourself, your manger and your peers.
We’ll decide based on the following criteria:
- Desire to use your position as a lever to achieve even better results;
- Openness to adopting new practices and learning new skills;
- Diversity of identity and background; and,
- Diversity of types of organization represented (size, focus of work, etc.).
We will also prioritize participants from organizations that are doing movement building, intersectional analysis, issue advocacy, community organizing, educational equity, and/or policy work.
- May 2019
May 01 201910:00 AM 5:00 PM Washington $625.00 incl.
- July 2019
Jul 30 201910:00 AM 5:00 PM Chicago $625.00 incl.