Job Description Sample
Last updated: December 10, 2020
Estimated reading time: 2.5 min
This job description is just a sample, so don’t apply!
State Health Care Now – State Policy Director
State Health Care Now is seeking a full-time State Policy Director to lead our state advocacy activities, primarily by building and maintaining alliances among key actors throughout the state.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to foster coordination and collaboration among multiple stakeholders (some of whom might have competing interests). They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and will be able to handle a heavy workload without dropping the ball. This position is an opportunity to engage with policymakers, non-profit leaders, industry executives, coalition partners, and constituents to help bring about real legislative change.
About State Health Care Now
State Health Care Now is a fast-paced nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring about affordable health insurance for every state resident. We work closely with policymakers, advocates, and business leaders, and have built a reputation as one of the state’s leading voices for health care reform. We plan to add 24 partners over the next two years and achieve universal coverage for all children in our state by 20XX.
The State Policy Director, who is based in X state and reports to the executive director, is responsible for the following:
- Building and maintaining strategic relationships with policymakers, non-profit leaders, industry executives, leading experts, coalition partners, and constituents
- Implementing our state advocacy agenda—current activities include three major programs and one annual conference
- Supervising three state-based project staff, two to four consultants, and 10-20 volunteers
- Monitoring legislative proposals and trends
- Serving as a member of the organization’s leadership team
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, and have strong project management skills. You should have:
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders. Many of our coalition partners represent marginalized communities, such as people of color, people with disabilities, low-income and poor people, homeless/unhoused people, and immigrants.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
- Experience managing multiple projects and ability to oversee a team of staff, consultants, and volunteers
Knowledge of health care policy issues and prior experience in a legislative environment are both plusses but are not requirements.
What Else You Should Know
This position is full-time and based in Washington, D.C. and requires some travel (approximately 1-2 times per quarter).
The salary range for this position is $75,000-85,000. Benefits include 100% medical, vision, and dental coverage, generous paid leave, and an employer contribution to your retirement fund.
State Health Care Now is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who come from communities that are most impacted by our issue. We especially encourage people of color, LGBTQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Pat Rodriguez, VP of Advocacy, at email@example.com.