Firing – Sample Script
Last updated: July 9, 2021
Managers often struggle to find the right words to use when letting an employee go. This sample script illustrates how you might structure such a conversation, including:
- Refer back to earlier performance discussions.
- Acknowledge improvement that’s been made.
- Give specific examples of what areas have not been met.
- Give the employee a chance to digest the news and react.
Check out the other resources in our Performance Problems series:
- Performance Improvement Plan Toolkit
- Four Steps for Addressing Performance Problems
- How to Approach Tricky Performance Improvement Plans
- Addressing Performance Problems Case Study
- Frequently Asked Questions About Performance Problems
- How to Coach a Disorganized Staff Member
- Sample language: Informal Warning, Formal Warning, Coaching Out