Newsletter – September 2, 2020
Want to receive tips like this emailed to you each month? Sign up here.
Upcoming offerings: managing for racial equity and exclusive trainings for BIPOC
How are you? We’re interrupting our scheduled break to share a few important things with you.
If you haven’t seen it already, check out our latest newsletter for leaders in the educational equity sector, in which TMC coach Mel Rivera shared concrete ideas for taking action, taking care of your people, and strengthening your community in the wake of the senseless shooting of Jacob Blake.
At a time when we are getting daily and weekly reminders of what’s at stake for our communities, it feels imperative for us to do our very best work. We know you feel it too, because over the last few months, we’ve gotten many inquiries about navigating management in the face of multiple overlapping crises—pandemic, systemic racism, and economic recession. Many of them boil down to a few questions:
- How can I better embed antiracist practices in my management and advance racial equity in my organization?
- How can I, as a non-Black leader/manager, better support my Black team members?
- How can I, as a Black, indigenous, and/or person of color, better resource and equip myself to navigate working in a predominantly white or multi-racial organization?
While we don’t have all of the answers to these questions (we’re working on it!), we’re sharing some resources and upcoming TMC offerings that may help.
Reads & Resources
Pause… is a quick but powerful read about the importance of pausing to reflect, reduce bias, and connect.
Our friends at ProInspire recently shared two resources:
- Crises as a Catalyst: A Call for Race Equity & Inclusive Leadership, a robust reflective tool for individuals and organizations to advance race equity at various levels of leadership.
- Self-care and Privilege during the COVID-19 Pandemic, an article that examines the intersections of self-care and privilege and offers practices for accessible self-care.
How White Managers Can Respond to Anti-Black Violence highlights four actions that leaders can take to combat anti-Black racism within their organizations.
Managing for Racial Equity, Inclusion, and Results
This training is for people who’ve been through our Management Crash Course in the last few years, recognize that bias and privilege play out in the workplace, and are motivated to advance equitable outcomes within and outside of their organizations. Throughout this course, participants build on past trainings and learn key levers for managing with an equity and inclusion lens. We cover incorporating racial equity into your goals, creating and aligning with more inclusive expectations, mitigating bias in hiring and evaluation, and effectively giving and receiving feedback with a lens on power.
- Tuesday, October 13th (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, October 14th (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Tuesday, October 20th (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, October 21st (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, December 2nd (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, December 3rd (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, December 9th (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, December 10th (1:00-4:00 PM ET)
People of Color & Indigenous Cohorts
Managers and staff who are people of color and/or indigenous often face unique issues within their organizations while navigating the intersections of race, class, gender, and other identities. These cohorts create space to discuss and offer support around the challenges of being folks of color in progressive and social justice organizations, and to share practices that can help folks of color thrive.
- Tuesday, September 15th (12:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, September 16th (12:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, September 17th (12:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Friday, October 2nd (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, October 28th (10:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, October 29th (10:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Friday, November 13th (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Monday, November 30th (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Tuesday, December 1st (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, December 2nd (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, December 3rd (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Friday, December 4th (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Monday, December 9th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Tuesday, December 10th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Tuesday, December 17th (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, October 14th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, October 15th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Friday, October 30th (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
We also have TMC scholarships for our POCI Cohorts available upon request that can partially or fully cover the cost of the training if needed. You can request a scholarship by emailing our POCI Cohort Coordinator, Ebony, at email@example.com.
Training Updates and Educational Equity Newsletters
Interested in receiving more training announcements and updates to your inbox? Or, are you an education sector leader who wants to join our educational equity newsletter mailing list? Sign up for our emails and indicate your preferences here. You can update your preferences, email address, or organization any time by clicking the “update your profile and email interests” link at the end of our newsletters.