Newsletter – May 19, 2021
Want to receive tips like this emailed to you each month? Sign up here.
In choppy waters, find your north star—roles and goals refresh
This month, we are spotlighting our new and improved Roles and Goals resource library. In choppy waters, it helps to return to a north star—what you’re working toward. Whether you’re moving into your mid-year review, planning ahead for next school year, or gearing up for a new fiscal year July 1st, it’s never a bad time to step back and help your staff do the same.
- We added a few more tips for getting started with goal-setting.
- We’re helping you make your SMART goals SMARTIE with an overview on embedding inclusion and equity in your goals.
- We updated the SMARTIE Goals Worksheet and Goals Bank, along with an improved sample goal development process.
- The Red Light/Green Light Goal Tracking Tool is now a multi-tool for tracking progress toward goals with samples for organizations, teams, and individuals.
We also have new guiding questions and improved samples to help you set expectations for how staff approach their work.
As you set sail, remember we’re with you—in a boat not too far away. Reach us any time, with questions about these updates or suggestions for new resources: email@example.com.
Signal Boost: The Black Womxn Thriving Survey
From the inspiring Ericka Hines at Every Level Leadership: a call to Black womxn to take a few minutes to share your experiences in the Black Womxn Thriving survey. “We want to hear from Black womxn across the gender spectrum about their experiences at work. The survey is designed to gather the experiences of Black womxn from reception to the C-suite, so we can find ways to build better, more inclusive workplaces where Black womxn can thrive.” Share your insights.
What We’re Reading
Our friends at the Interaction Institute for Social Change published a blog post, Is Your Staff Crumbling in 2021? With Fraying, We Must be Braiding, which offers seven strategies for bringing things together when they’re coming apart. It picks up right where our last newsletter left off—and it’s right on time. At TMC, we’re supporting our team to rest and replenish by closing our office July 2-6.
As we gear up for mid-year performance reviews, this new article from HBR is a great model showing how one company rooted out patterns of racial and gender bias and turned things around.
Building Movement Project recently convened five BIPOC leaders to discuss the effects of the pandemic on nonprofits serving communities of color. Listen as they share bold solutions to address systemic racism, and explore what leaders of color need to sustain leadership for the long run (transcript available).
Priya Parker, author of The Art of Gathering and host of the podcast Together Apart, helps us think about what it means to gather in these times (ASL and transcript available).
Registration is now open for trainings from July to December 2021. Register today before they fill up. Our offerings include:
- Managing to Change the World
- Working for Change
- Managing for Racial Equity, Inclusion, and Results
- Black, Indigenous, and People of Color Cohorts for managers and staff
- Equitable Hiring
- Managing Remotely Through COVID-19
- Managing Projects
As of April 1st, all public trainings will feature live transcription. This is one of many necessary steps that TMC is taking as we work to provide a more equitable training environment. For further information about training accommodations, refer to our training FAQs or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us on Slack!
Welcome aboard! Our Slack community just grew by 20%. Still haven’t joined? Fill out this form to receive an invitation so you can:
- Stay connected after trainings
- Find resources, peer support, and job postings
- Discuss reopening, remote work, and equitable management
- Hear about new TMC tools and give us feedback via polls