Newsletter – March 13, 2020
Want to receive tips like this emailed to you each month? Sign up here.
Manage through the pandemic with these resources
Is it just us, or is it harder than usual to be a manager these days? (2020, you make us miss 2019!) Like many other leaders, you’ve probably already taken some actions to protect your staff, members, volunteers, and clients from the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you’re fortunate enough to be able to work remotely and your organization is switching to a remote work set-up, you might have questions about how to handle the transition. Managing remotely for the first time can be daunting. It’s even harder when the shift is prompted by a crisis. In this article, we share our five best tips for getting results while taking care of your people.
In a nutshell:
- Manage your expectations.
- Check in with each staff person about their remote work set-up.
- Focus on output over activities.
- Set and respect work hours.
- Set up (or revise) communication practices.
What are your favorite tips and tricks for managing during COVID-19? Send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Conversations: Preparing Organizations for COVID-19
In the last two weeks, we’ve been fielding many questions from clients on coronavirus preparation and how to manage the impact on organizations. We are hosting two 45-minute virtual conversations for people to come together and share early lessons learned, practical tips, and helpful resources. The sessions will be facilitated by Marissa Graciosa, TMC Partner and Progressive Sector Coach. We will summarize key takeaways from both sessions and publish them on our website; live transcription will not be available. Here are the dates and times (add it to your calendar now!):
Wednesday, March 18th, 12-12:45 pm EDT
Tuesday, March 24th, 3-3:45 pm EDT
To join, simply click here on the day of—no need to pre-register.
We have good news (for public health)! We’ll be canceling our in-person trainings between Monday, 3/16 and Friday, 4/3, and converting most to online courses.
We’ll be offering versions of the Managing to Change the World Crash Course, Managing Projects, and Working for Change courses online. If you’re already signed up for a training scheduled over the next three weeks, you’ll be automatically registered (if you’d prefer to postpone your training, get in touch!). Right now, we’re still accepting registrations for in-person courses later this spring and summer, and will keep all registrants updated on any changes. If you have any questions about trainings, email us at email@example.com.
What We’re Reading
Here at TMC, we’ve been having important conversations about adapting our policies and practices to prioritize the health, safety, and well-being of our staff. Here are some helpful reads we’ve come across:
- On preparing your workplace
- Coronavirus Could Force Teams to Work Remotely (we particularly like the section on normalizing new work environments)
- Going Remote Overnight: Preparing for the Coronavirus
- 6 Tips For Managing Remote Employees: How To Maintain Productivity And Engagement
- These 5 Tech Companies Are Providing Free Remote Working Tools During The Coronavirus Outbreak
- For managers in the education sector
- For coping with stress
- On how people with disabilities are being impacted
- And, a reminder that infection is only one thing that’s scary about this outbreak: When Xenophobia Spreads Like a Virus
Bonus (because who doesn’t need a bit of levity during tough times?): How to Work From Home Most Chaotically