Educational Equity Newsletter – September 10, 2020
Interested in receiving these newsletters for education sector leaders? Sign up here. (You can also sign up for our general newsletter while you're at it!)
Building trust and safety with your team members
To do their best work for you, your team members have to believe:
- You value them (including and beyond their day-to-day work).
- You have their back and have created a safe space for vulnerability, realness, and making mistakes.
- You are effective at your job: you manage well, you make solid decisions, and the team’s better because you are around.
- You have integrity: you honor commitments and speak truthfully and directly—no smoke and mirrors.
The challenge is that, as leaders, we often don’t get feedback from the people we manage in these areas. Oftentimes, the reason for this is two-fold: we haven’t done the work to build the trust that makes these conversations safe for the people who report to us, or we haven’t created the structures to make giving feedback routine and effortless.
Assuming you have built that trust, this week, we want to help you get that feedback from your team by asking one or more of the following questions in your next check-in:
“It’s my intention to show you how much I value having you on our team in my words and actions. What are some actions or gestures that make you feel valued? In what ways do I successfully communicate that I value you and your work? In what ways could I improve?”
“It’s important to me that our team is a place people can learn and grow, without fear of taking risks or making mistakes. How could I show up differently to reinforce that our team is a safe place to be real, vulnerable, and try new things?”
“How could I be more effective at supporting you? Of these areas, which would you suggest I tackle first?”
“Showing up honestly and with integrity is a value I hold as a leader. Are there any instances you can think of where you saw me wobble on this value? I’d deeply appreciate the chance to learn from these experiences, if you’d be willing to share.”
Use the feedback you receive to improve your practice as a leader and create the conditions for your team to thrive.
Creating the Conditions for Your Team to Thrive
Thursday, October 1 at 2pm ET
This training will be a working session to apply the practices we suggest this September, get more tips on creating the conditions for your team to win, and ask any questions you may have. Register here.
People of Color & Indigenous Cohorts
Managers and staff who are people of color and/or indigenous often face unique issues within their organizations while navigating the intersections of race, class, gender, and other identities. These cohorts create space to discuss and offer support around the challenges of being folks of color in progressive and social justice organizations, and to share practices that can help folks of color thrive.
- Tuesday, September 15th (12:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, September 16th (12:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, September 17th (12:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Friday, October 2nd (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, October 28th (10:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, October 29th (10:00-4:00 PM ET)
- Friday, November 13th (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Monday, November 30th (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Tuesday, December 1st (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, December 2nd (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, December 3rd (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Friday, December 4th (12:00-3:00 PM ET)
- Monday, December 9th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Tuesday, December 10th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Tuesday, December 17th (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Wednesday, October 14th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Thursday, October 15th (11:00-5:00 PM ET)
- Friday, October 30th (4:00-5:00 PM ET)
We also have TMC scholarships for our POCI Cohorts available upon request that can partially or fully cover the cost of the training if needed. You can request a scholarship by emailing our POCI Cohort Coordinator, Ebony, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need more support?
Email us at email@example.com to ask about our coaching and training services for leaders in the education sector. We look forward to hearing from you!