Job Description Sample
This job description is just a sample, so don’t apply!
State Health Care Now – State Policy Director
State Health Care Now is seeking a full-time State Policy Director to lead our state advocacy activities, primarily by building and maintaining alliances among key actors throughout the state.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to foster coordination and cooperation among diverse – and even competing – groups. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload without dropping the ball. This position is an opportunity to engage with policy makers, NGOs, industry executives, and constituents to help bring about real legislative change.
About State Health Care Now
State Health Care Now is a fast-paced nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring about affordable health insurance for every state resident. We work closely with policymakers, advocates, and business leaders, and have built a reputation as one of the state’s leading voices for health care reform. We plan to add 24 partners over the next two years and achieve universal coverage for all children in our state by 2015.
The State Policy Director, who is based in X state and reports to the executive director, is responsible for the following:
- Building and maintaining strategic relationships with policy makers, NGOs, industry executives, leading experts, and constituents
- Implementing our state advocacy agenda – current activities include three major programs and one annual conference
- Supervising three state-based project staff and two to four consultants and volunteers
- Monitoring legislative proposals and trends
- Serving as a member of the organization’s leadership team
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, and have strong project management skills. You should have:
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
- Experience managing multiple projects and ability to oversee a cadre of staff, consultants, and volunteers
Knowledge of health care policy issues and prior experience in a legislative environment are both plusses but are not requirements.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. State Health Care Now is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Pat Rodriguez, VP of Advocacy, at email@example.com.