Summer School Leader Trainer (summer 2019)
The Management Center is seeking dynamic presenters who love thinking and talking about management to help us train current and aspiring school principals during the summer of 2019!
The Management Center’s Summer School Leader Trainer Program is a highly selective, unique opportunity to fine-tune your training skills and share your experience with school leaders, all while maintaining your current career. You’ll get trained in some of the management and training techniques that have garnered The Management Center trainers rave reviews over the past decade.
Who We Are
Our mission is to help social change and education leaders learn how to build and run more effective organizations so they can deliver great results. Founded in 2006, we have helped shape the practices of hundreds of influential organizations and tens of thousands of individual managers, focusing in particular on leading progressive organizations working for social change and organizations working for educational equity. We aim to help our clients by making their organizations as effective as possible, by providing coaching, training, and publications for the broader field.
What You’ll Do
Trainers in our Summer School Leader Trainer Program will deliver about 10 days of training (in the form of 1-day or 2-day trainings) during June, July, and August 2019, depending on client demand. All training content and materials already exist; you will be responsible only for delivery, not design. Trainings will take place in multiple locations around the United States, and the audience for all trainings will be school leaders: principals, assistant principals, deans of curriculum, deans of students, and in some cases teacher leaders.
Our training curriculum focuses on the elements of effective management, including delegating effectively, setting goals and measuring progress against them, hiring a talented and diverse team, giving feedback and developing staff members, addressing performance problems, managing using a lens of equity and inclusion, and overall ensuring your team gets great results. We’ll also help school leaders practice using these skills through a variety of school-based scenarios. Our trainings are interactive, fast-paced, and – ideally – engaging and funny, not dry and stiff.
To prepare, you will be paid to attend three days of trainer training, which focuses on TMC’s management framework and how to keep audiences engaged and learning. Specifically, you will:
- Attend and observe our two-day management course for school leaders
- Attend our day-long TMC Training University where we’ll review our approach to management and a helpful set of tools, as well as practice presenting, answering questions, and interacting with participants
- Co-train or be shadowed for your first paid training so that we can provide you with feedback and coaching
Time commitment: Three days of train-the-trainer, then roughly 12-15 days total during the months of June, July, and August (including time to prepare for each training).
What Results You Can Expect
In the Summer School Leaders Trainer Program, you can expect:
- To train public school leaders in both the district and charter school settings on high-impact and practical management techniques and tools
- To earn extra money doing something you love – training and management!
- To observe and learn from a team of trainers who are obsessed with conducting outstanding management trainings
- To receive concrete and actionable feedback about your own training skills
- To impress people by telling them that you train for The Management Center
Who We’re Looking For
This is a competitive program, and we’re seeking experienced school leaders with training and management skills.
Candidates must have experience as a school principal, a manager of school principals, or both.
Additionally, candidates should excel in these areas:
- A demonstrated track record of success managing a high-performing organization, department, or team, with a deep understanding of what it takes to produce results.
- Ability to quickly build credibility with school leaders in a training setting.
- Critical thinking skills to quickly become fluent in a school, CMO, or district’s context, and to analyze, and answer questions on your feet as you are training.
- Demonstrated ability to thoughtfully navigate issues of racial equity and inclusion in a school context, and a deep commitment to advancing the values of equity and inclusion.
- An ability to present material in an engaging, and energetic manner to a range of external audiences while seeming like a real person
What Else You Should Know
This is a part-time, limited term, contractor position, and candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. This role involves substantial travel – you’d likely need to travel for every training, or almost every training, you deliver. TMC reimburses ordinary travel expenses.
Trainers in the Summer School Leader Adjunct Program will be paid $5,000 for the three days of preparatory training, and then $2,000 for every day of training delivered.
The Management Center is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to racial equity and social justice, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Timeline: We will begin screening applications in early January and expect to conclude our search and make offers for this program by late March. At that point, we would ask accepted trainers to submit at least 30 days of availability over the summer that we could begin scheduling trainings into. We will conduct the preparatory training program in May, and trainers will then deliver trainings in June, July, and August.